House Break-ins & Stolen Passports - What to Do

House Break-ins & Stolen Passports - What to Do

What to Do in Case of a House Break-In

  1. Leave everything exactly as you find it. Do not disturb any evidence.
  2. REPORT THE CRIME to the Tourist police. You may need an interpreter if you do not speak Spanish.  Have them call the OIJ, and ask the Property Manager or your interpreter to call as well. The OIJ will then inspect the scene, take any evidences available and take your report.  You might be asked to go to Nicoya to finalize the report.  Otherwise, you can call OIJ a few days after the crime to verify that they have it in their computer. Get a copy of any reports made for your own use (Insurance for example).

    Tourist Police- 2682-5332
    OIJ - 2685-5416

  3. Provide the OIJ with serial numbers to the stolen items. The inspectors will put it in their report, which will help if you file for insurance and also if anything is recovered.
  4. Walk around the outside of the house to look for your wallet, identification, passports, etc. Thieves usually discard anything with your ID on it.
  5. If you hear someone trying to break in, turn on the lights and make a lot of noise.
  6. If you accost the burglar(s) inside your house, try to keep them there until the police arrive.
  7. If the burglars escape your house before you can grab them, do not attempt to catch them. You may be held liable for any injuries they sustain.  

What to do if Your Passport is Stolen

You must go to your country's embassy in San Jose to get a replacement.

The U.S. Embassy is open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 11 am for emergency services. If you have time, call to make an appointment: 2519-2000. If you do not have an appointment, you will need to go to consular services and take a number. It takes about an hour and a half to get a replacement passport.

 To replace your US passport you will need the following:

  • ​One passport photo; get it in advance to speed the process of replacing your passport
  • ​Identification (driver's license, expired passport etc.)
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)
  • ​Travel Itinerary (airline/train tickets)
  • ​Police Report, if available
  • ​DS-11 Application for Passport (may be completed at time of application)
  • ​DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (may be completed at time of application)
  • ​$135

To replace your Canadian passport you will need the following:

  • The Canadian Embassy is open for all consular services (passports and citizenship) from 8 am to noon Monday through Friday. Telephone 2242-4400
  • ​A completed application form (adult in Canada or the US [PPTC 153], adult abroad [PPTC 040], child in Canada or the US [PPTC 155], child abroad [PPTC 042) signed by your guarantor
  • ​Two identical passport photos, one of which is signed by the guarantor
  • ​An accepted proof of Canadian citizenship
  • ​A document to support your identity
  • ​The appropriate fee (passport fee + C$45 replacement fee)  
  • ​A complete Declaration concerning a lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found Canadian travel document (PPTC 203, PDF,150 KB)

Links to other embassies whose citizens frequently visit Nosara:

Please donate now. We need the full support of the community to keep our Fire and Security efforts growing and effective.

We are kindly suggesting a $200 /year donation from individuals and a $500/year donation for a commercial business, but any amount is welcome and much needed!

Act now. Do not delay. Our community is counting on you.

Donate Now!